Benefits of Membership:
With more than 170 members, the Virginia Chapter is the leading group for elder law practitioners in the Commonwealth.
Benefits of membership include:
- Access to the chapter and national listserv. By subscribing to the chapter and national listserv, members can draw on the collective expertise of elder law practitioners across the state and around the country. Whether seeking substantive law guidance or recommendations for office software, members benefit every day from the ability to post inquiries via email to an entire network of elder law colleagues.
- Promotional value. Chapter membership is an important indication of your dedication to elder law. Potential clients can find you geographically through the Chapter web site. Find an Attorney.
- Educational opportunities. VAELA hosts an annual UnProgram, held annually over a Friday and Saturday in February, typically at the Boar's Head Inn in Charlottesville, Virginia. This two-day program offers a "Members Only" Day first, in which VAELA attorney members meet to discuss elder law developments in the state. Topics range from substantive law and administrative and civil procedure to ethics and practice management. The Program also offers a "Meet the Pros" day on Saturday, where members participate in small group round-table discussions, for CLE credit, with experienced attorneys who provide substantive knowledge and practice tips on various relevant and topical areas and subjects. VAELA also sponsors an Annual Meeting in the spring, also at the Boar's Head Inn, which includes an educational program where there is an additional opportunity to earn CLE credit.
- Brochure. Members have access to the "How Can an Elder Law Attorney Help Your Family" sample brochure. The brochure is written for a general audience, to describe the various areas in which an elder law attorney can assist clients and families. It is intended for distribution to clients or as a handout for speaking engagements and has space on the back for members to add their own contact information. Members can order copies of the brochure in bulk.
- Mentoring opportunities. VAELA is now offering through NAELA a mentoring program. Experienced attorneys of more than five years of practice have the opportunity to serve as mentor. Find out more about the program or sign up to be a mentor or be mentored.
- Public Policy: VAELA has an active Public Policy Committee, through which VAELA advocates to the Virginia Assembly regarding issues pertinent to Virginia's Seniors and their Families.
- Partnering with Virginia CLE. VAELA is partnering with Virginia CLE to promote education concerning elder law issues. Virginia CLE will be publishing a handbook on elder law in Virginia in March of 2011. Members of VAELA will receive an exclusive attractive discount on the handbook.
- Opportunity to serve. Members are eligible to vote for and serve as officers and directors of the Virginia Chapter, a Virginia Chapter 180 nonprofit organization, and to serve on vital committees of the Chapter, including Programming, and Public Policy.
Northern VA/Fairfax Area:
Description: Northern Virginia chapter of VALEA
Contact: Vera Golenzer, firstname.lastname@example.org , (703) 349-1391
Peninsula Area (Hampton, Newport, Yorktown and Williamsburg):
Description: Meets every third Friday of the month at 8:00 AM at Angelo’s for breakfast. Discussion is informal.
Contact: Harold H. Barton, Jr., email@example.com , (757) 595-9500
Description: Richmond Area Virginia chapter of VAELA
Contact: Joley Steffens, firstname.lastname@example.org , (804) 461-8283
Description: Southwest Virginia chapter of VAELA
Contact: Rhona Levine, email@example.com , (540) 342-9311
NAELA is offering new, first-time members a special rate of $212.50 if they join in July 2018 (membership will be active through the end of 2018).
Annual calendar year NAELA dues for returning members are presently $525 (One time only discount for new members will be applied). Annual Virginia Chapter dues are $100. NAELA membership is required in order to be a Virginia Chapter member. For more information, please visit Join NAELA